About Site Gallery
Site Gallery is Sheffield’s centre for contemporary art. The gallery offers a changing programme of free exhibitions alongside regular artists’ talks, conferences, workshops, screenings and publications.
The gallery focuses on newly commissioned work, UK premieres, and provides a base for international residencies and supports artists at critical moments in their career. The development of on-line activities, live art events and off-site projects further our mission to make opportunities for the production of creative work and to present work to new audiences. In its history, Site has produced new work with 5 artists who went on to win the Turner Prize alongside some of the leading UK and international artists living and working today.
In 2011 Site:
- Worked with over 140 local, national and international artists
- Developed 9 major new commissions which have toured to Plymouth, London and New York
- Produced a virtual reality sculpture exhibition
- Developed an artist-maker festival for Sheffield
- Supported 6 artist-in-residencies
- Worked with young people to commission new work
- Gained 5 Guardian Guide must see ‘top exhibition’ pieces and broad media coverage through the BBC World Service, Radio 4, The Independent, the Financial Times and many visual arts publications.
- Working with artists to trial working across new platforms (eg. Developing webisodes and long tail audience development for artist feature film/exhibition projects)
- Work with the Site Gallery online archive
- Working with digital performance artists
- Support audience development as we develop a new education programme with young people and establish a membership programme
- Looking into new funding streams and ways of working more effectively.